Hearty Vegan Chili!
Chili is one of my favourite one-pot meals. It’s packed with protein and perfect on a cold or rainy day. If you’re vegan or looking to reduce your meat intake, this hearty meal is the perfect option. It tastes similar to the traditional version and is a great way to incorporate extra veggies and legumes into your diet. Lentils and beans are a great source of protein, as well as fibre, iron, and B vitamins. The carrots add additional vitamins and minerals.
I like to serve this over warm brown rice with avocado. This creates a perfectly balanced meal with protein, complete carbohydrates, and healthy fats. I love to enjoy this meal before or after a workout, or on a damp and rainy day.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, cubed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon
- ½ teaspoon
chilipepper flakes (use ¼ teaspoon for less spicy)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ cup water
- One 398 ml can black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 540 ml can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup lentils
- Two 398 ml cans of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup (or honey)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add diced onions, minced garlic, and cubed carrots. Season with salt, pepper,
chilipowder, chilipepper flakes, paprika, and oregano. Stir until onions are translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add water and continue to cook over medium heat until carrots are fully
cooked,about 10 minutes.
- Add black beans, red kidney beans, lentils, and tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low and stir. Season with soy sauce, red wine vinegar, and honey. Simmer until lentils are fully cooked. Depending on lentil size, anywhere from 8-20 minutes.