Hummus is one of my favourite healthy snacks and addition to many meals. Made with a base of chickpeas, this snack is a great source of protein and will leave you feeling full and satisfied throughout the day. I love snacking on hummus with my favourite veggies or healthy crackers. One of my all time favourite crackers are Luke’s Organic Garden Vegetable Crackers – they’re gluten-free, vegan, and made with all natural ingredients without preservatives. I also love to serve this over a bed of warm rice with my Gluten-free Tabouli Salad for a quick and simple week night dinner.
By making your own hummus at home, you know exactly what’s going into your food and you can even adjust the flavours to your liking. Feel free to experiment by adding in spicy paprika or cayenne pepper for a spicy kick, or add red pepper for a flavour boost.
This hummus is super easy to make and comes together in minutes. Store in the fridge in a covered container for up to a few days.
- One 540 ml can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about half of a lemon)
- 1 clove garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons water
- Add all ingredients except the water to a food processor or blender. Blend on high until fully combined and smooth.
- Slowly add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Garnish with olive oil, red pepper flakes, or paprika - if desired.