Who doesn’t love a creamy pasta sauce? This Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce is deliciously creamy and a healthier alternative to many cream based sauces. The Cashew Cream is used as a replacement for regular cream, but is a much healthier alternative without compromising on taste.
Since discovering I was lactose intolerant, I never found anything that created a rich, creamy component to pasta sauces like cream did. Cashew Cream is my new favourite discovery, and it can be used in a variety of dishes to add a thick, creamy touch to many meals and sauces.
Although cashews are also a high-fat food, cashews are high in healthy monounsaturated fats, while heavy cream contains mainly unhealthy fats. Cashews also provide 18g of protein in a ½ cup, while heavy cream contains only 3.2g. Aside from providing protein, cashews are also a great source of magnesium, iron, B6, and many other nutrients. Whether you’re looking for a lactose-free alternative to creamy tomato based pasta, or looking for a healthier way to get enjoy your favourite meal, try this Creamy Tomato Based Pasta Sauce with Cashew Cream for a simple and delicious pasta dinner.
Try my All Purpose Vegan Cashew Cream for a simple and easy cashew cream base made with only 2 ingredients!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon
- ¼ teaspoon
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- One 680 ml can of tomato sauce
- One 156 ml can of tomato paste
- ½ cup All Purpose Vegan Cashew Cream
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, roughly chopped (plus more for garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add minced garlic and diced onion. Season with salt, pepper,
chiliflakes, chilipowder, dried basil, and dried oregano. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent, 3-5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, and prepared Cashew Cream. Stir until combined.
- Add red wine vinegar, soy sauce, and fresh basil. Continue stirring and cooking until fully heated, 5-10 minutes.
- Serve over your favourite pasta and top with additional basil.